Only the leading anonymity services have been examined which are just as suitable for any other online traffic besides p2p / torrenting.
When making your choice, consider the following points –
- Simply choose the service that suites your needs. 1 year packages will save you some serious bucks.
- Check if there are VPN servers located in your country for optimal download/upload speed.
- All services listed below support torrent traffic and have NO bandwidth limits.
- The logging policy of each service has been added to ensure your level of privacy with them.
Top VPNs for torrenting – no logging
- 15 day free trial
- No logging at all
- Based in San Marino, out of US jurisdiction.
- Good and steadily growing selection of servers worldwide
- Best value and server speeds (120+ Mbit/s)
- 7 day money back guarantee
- No logging at all.
IPVanish also gives users shared IP addresses, which adds another layer of security and anonymity. This means that user A’s traffic is mixed with user B’s, C’s, D’s, E’s and so on, making it impossible to single out anyone for anything, even if we tried.
- Great value
- 30 day money back guarantee
- No logging at all.
- Great price and value
- No logging at all
- Highest level of privacy
With minimal logging
- One of the cheapest offers with great value
- 15 day money back guarantee
Only $36.95 annually.
Your Internet usage is not monitored. No user activity logs are kept. However the following data is kept and recorded for 7 days:
– Time, date and location VPN connection was made.
– Duration of the VPN connection.
– Bandwidth used during the connection.
So what’s the deal about logging?
Most of the anonymity services log the time and IP which is connected to their VPN server. They mainly do this to maintain their service quality.
This means they store a time stamp and IP address when you connect and disconnect to their VPN service together with the IP address of the individual VPN server used by you. However, they do not store details of, or monitor, the websites you connect to when using their VPN service. You should only be worried about those connection logs if you are doing something highly illegal (whistleblowing, child-porn, cracking, DDoS, spamming etc.) which will get the attention of CIA / FBI and such.
The “6 strikes” rule in the US is a warning system, it is not a government program and offenders can’t be prosecuted in any way. Essentially, the worst thing that can happen to you is that your ISP cuts off your Internet service – and there are some who question whether any ISPs will actually take that step. Basically the ISP alerts will go like this:
- First infringement: Your ISP will inform you of about the downloaded file(s)
- Second infringement: You will get an email about confirming the receipt or your ISP will call you
- Third and fourth infringements: You are required to be “educated” by watching a video about piracy
- Fifth and sixth infringements: Your internet connection is terminated or slowed down
Proxy vs VPN
Both VPN and proxy services let you use the Internet anonymously. However, keep the following differences in mind:
- VPN tends to be more solid and secure with more security options to choose from
- Not all applications work with proxies and most of them need special configuration to work
- When you connect to a VPN server, all your traffic is encrypted, no matter what application you use
It’s obvious that VPN is the better and recommended choice to keep the big brother away. Get your connection secured and enjoy leeching/seeding without any fear of identification.
Any free options? Yes! VPN trial
Take advantage of the Xmas special 1 month free trial from SpyOFF. It’s the best way to compare VPN providers, without spending any money.
There are some free servers for torrents you can use, but keep in mind that they are very limited in server locations, speed and bandwidth. It takes time and can be frustrating to find a proxy server that will last you for a day. Do NOT use the Hidemyass paid offers for file sharing, they will suspend your account and not refund as stated in their logging policy.
Also understand that free VPN software usually includes nasty adware that can harm your computer (privacy) and change browser settings, which you have to fix afterwards since uninstalling does not restore your default settings.
How to setup uTorrent with a proxy server
Watch the video below to learn how to properly use a (free) proxy with uTorrent.
Or check our clean and checked methods to hide your IP address.